Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Doing.

I talked to my sister about internet safety the other day. After watching a number of videos about the dangers of the internet (especially for children and young teenagers), I was anxious to share with her what I had learned and to warn her of what can happen through the internet. As we discussed the topic, I was shocked to hear what she has already experienced. Apparently, she has encountered some scary things already through facebook. When she told me this, I kind of freaked out. I explained to her the seriousness of it and had her promise me that she would never give anyone her personal information, and that she would report any instances to our parents as soon as they occurred.

I think that our discussion was very valuable. My purpose was not to scare her, but to bring to her attention the seriousness of the internet. I wanted her to be aware that some scary things can happen on the internet if we are not careful. She had been told this before, but I think it was a good reminder for her. I told her about some websites that she could check out, specifically ones that had movies about past occurrences. I'm glad I chose to talk to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment